The SENIA Student Award honors a student, adult or group that celebrates the achievements of people with disabilities; encourages awareness of the abilities and aspirations of people with disabilities; and advocates on behalf of exceptional people in the world.
Who May Submit Nominations?
Nominations may be made by
- Related service providers
Award Selection Criteria
The SENIA Student Award Review Committee, which is made up of SENIA members, will select one winner who fulfills the SENIA mission statement:
- Raising awareness of special needs
- Advocating for special needs
- Effort in raising awareness and advocacy
- Impact on the local, national and international community
- Submit nominations digitally via the nomination form.
- Submit all documentation together and in English.
- One nominator to submit documentation (does not need to be a SENIA member)
- Double check the spelling of the nominee’s name
- Submit a nominee’s photo.
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- The student must answer one of the following questions (select any medium):
- What inspires or motivates you to advocate for yourself and/or your peers with special education needs?
- What do you hope to achieve by advocating for yourself and/or your peers with special education needs?
- Attend a special awards ceremony and celebration at the SENIA International Conference.
- Receive accommodations for award winner and chaperone during face to face conferences
- Receive a plaque honoring the award winner.
- Receive a financial scholarship of $1500 USD
- Present a short presentation (10 minutes) at the SENIA conference sharing your inspirational story of awareness and advocacy for special needs.
- Be featured on SENIA ‘s website, newsletter and social media platforms.
- Candidates must be 2″“21 years of age when they are nominated.
- Nominee must have an identified disability.